Wednesday 21 September 2011

Taking a Break

I knew I just had to get to Australia and then I would be able to unpack my bag, stretch my legs and relax for a period of time.  And that's exactly what I have spent the last two weeks doing.  Well, with a bit of excitement thrown in with my good friend's wedding and a 4 day trip to the middle of the Outback and the great Uluru!

Arriving in Perth was like coming home, which of course interests me as I was only here for 4 weeks in January, but I fell in love during that time and could easily see myself a resident.  Unfortunately for me, the Australian government does not feel the same way, nor have I found myself an Aussie boy who does either (yet)!! 

I hired myself a car, which I have driven very little while here, but it felt great to jump behind the wheel of a vehicle and self propel myself down the highway, even if I had to spend most of that ride (and a few more after) reminding myself which side of the road to drive on!  Living in London driving on the left and then having 5 weeks in Canada driving on the right before heading out on this adventure caused a number of 'oh my God' moments, swiftly recovered from without incident (so far). I was grateful to friends who lent me their Australian GPS map as I drove myself straight to another friend's house.  It was a beautiful day in Perth, crystal blue sky, not a cloud to be seen and above 20 degrees. It's just coming into spring here and had been raining and chilly, which it was quickly to become again, but happily not until after the most beautiful Aussie wedding I've ever seen!

Michelle Harris and Shane Neil became man and wife on September 10, 2011 and I was so fortunate to be one of the very select few they chose to include in their wonderful wedding weekend in Guildford at the Rose and Crown Hotel.  It was the most perfect day with everything going so smoothly, even my makeup as it ran down my face with my flood of tears during the ceremony. I couldn't help it. Michelle looked amazing, Shane was ogling her as she came down the aisle. And they are just so in love, it is something special to bare witness to and I feel very lucky to know them and be a part of their lives.

After the weekend, with the bride and groom safely off to their honeymoon in India, I set up home at my best friend from London, Alexandra and her husband Stuart's house in the far reaches of Northern Perth.  My bag literally exploded, and I have only just now got it under control.  It has been beyond brilliant to have a base and a room all to my own and a washing machine available whenever the endless loads of children's washing take a break!  I've had home made meals nightly, day trips to Perth Zoo, Hilary's Boat Harbour, Wanneroo Markets, extensive shopping malls and a lovely chance to reconnect with Alex's extended family, whom I met in January.  It is an amazing feeling to be in a place new and special, yet feel so at home. I've loved not having to run around and see the sights and get the photos and buy the postcards and souvenirs. It's given me so much more time just to be with my friend, and given by my emotional breakdown night one of my time here, I probably really needed to reconnect with a friend.

However, I did manage to pull myself away from Perth for the opportunity to visit the great Ayers Rock, or Uluru, the name the aboriginals gave it.  I flew to Alice Springs, stayed in a friendly little hostel and was collected at 605am by my Intrepid 2 day tour.  The desert was something special. The days were getting close to 30 degrees already, but the nights were going down to 1 or 2 degrees. It was freezing!!  And camping in tents actually allows you to experience the temperature change properly as the tents are far to hot to enter in the day light and then you spend the night shaking with cold and probably a little with the fear of what kind of creatures are slithering and skittering around your tent in the dark! 

It was all worth even just that first glimpse of the beauty that sits high above the desert floor, just in the middle of nowhere with seemingly no friends (until you turn around and see the Olgas or the Other Rocks, as they are affectionately known, standing some 50kms or so away!).  Uluru is simply breathtaking. The completely flat walking path around her base is over 10kms long. My ankle was beyond happy when we only walked halfway around and drove around the other half! The trouble was not falling over, and breaking my other ankle, as I stared straight up into the blue sky in complete awe. Almost even better was watching the color changing show Uluru puts on at sunset. As the sun goes down behind the Olgas, it creates many different colors on the red rock, best enjoyed while eating nibbles and drinking champagne (or OJ in my case) all provided by Intrepid!  The next morning we enjoyed watching the sun rise from behind Uluru and create the color show on the Olgas.  We hiked into the Olgas. As they are free standing and many, you're able to climb into the crevices, whereas Uluru just stands there one large, impenetrable rock. My ankle gave out and I missed the vertical climbs at the end of the hike, but enjoyed being out in the desert in the beautiful national park, always keeping my eye out for those creepy crawlies I was alright seeing in the zoo behind glass!


After another night in Alice, I was back to Perth and have had a lovely week just relaxing and spending time with the friends I have in the city.  I love that I know people all over the world I can connect with on my travels, makes it all seem a little smaller and less frightening.  Tomorrow I start again, granted this time I only have two weeks until I'll be back in Lacombe, Alberta wondering where to go next, but still I have two more weeks so bring them on!!  And once again, thanks to Perth and those of you here who make it feel so much like home. Who knows, maybe one day it will be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment