Wednesday 7 March 2012

Buenos Aires

This poor city had no hope of wooing me after the charms Antarctica poured on, but I gave it a chance I promise!

Our final night on board the Clipper Adventurer ended at 330am with the lights of Ushuaia in view. The next day began at 630am, with a 530am wake up call from one of the crew members (he doesn't remember making it). Needless to say, I was knackered and depressed. We killed a few hours in the Ushuaia posting my new parka and winter gear home to Canada. (I'm just waiting to see if I beat it home!) The airport had a bit of a going away party air about it as the place was packed with the passengers from our boat. We all crashed once in the air and the 3.5 hour flight is a bit of a blur. Arriving in Buenos Aires meant the final goodbyes and it was all a bit too much. Once I arrived at my hostel, I hit the shower and bed.

My first day in the city was spent attempting to change my room situation. I had the top bunk in a tiny room with 3 stinky, snoring boys. I would have managed it, but the voyage across the Drake Passage had left me rocking and nearly falling out of bed twice made it impossible to survive the top bunk! Once that was sorted, I hit the pavement to see what the city had to offer. The first thing to hit me was the heat. After the cold of Antarctica, the 30 plus degree heat was overwhelming. I walked and walked and in one day, felt I had seen all the sights the city had to offer. It was a little disappointing. I enjoyed seeing Eva Peron's Pink Palace, the seat of government actually, where she made her big speech to the people. However, even that was smaller then I anticipated. I was very happy to be back in bed and looking forward to meeting up with 3 of my friends from the Clipper the next day.

Buenos Aires perked up for me when I met up with Tanya, her mum Olena and Olena's friend Pam. The Aussies and I spent the entire day together, checking out where Evita is buried, enjoying a market, an al fresco lunch and walking all over the city once again. We finished our day with a very expensive, but beyond amazing Argentinian steak! Once back in my bottom bunk bed I was exhausted, but happy.

Sunday meant a lie in as I waited for the trio to make their way over to the San Telmo barrio I was staying in. It was the scene of the biggest street market I have ever seen, at least 12 city blocks! The ladies abandoned Tanya and I after lunch for a nap. We walked the miles of stalls and did a little shopping, mostly indulging in Tanya's earring collection! It was a great day, but once again I had more goodbyes to deal with so I went back to the hostel a little down. 

Monday I visited a barrio called La Boca. Paint a building in bright colors, load it with tourist tat, and put tango dancers in front of it and they will come. I sat for an hour and watched touts take cash from silly tourists wanting a picture with someone who can dance. It was laughable, but enjoyable. The heat and a migraine kept me in the basement of the hostel for the afternoon. I was done and Buenos Aires had failed to capture my attention. I don't like to say that about many places I've visited, and it doesn't mean I'll give up on Argentina, but it just wasn't for me. No harm in seeing it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment